The term ‘The Staff College’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of the website whose registered number is 3691651, registered in England and Wales. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
Website Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions of Use
Please read these Terms and Conditions of Use carefully before you start to use the site. By using our site, you indicate that you accept these Terms and Conditions of Use and that you agree to abide by them. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use, please refrain from using our site.
- Information about us
- Accessing our site
- Registered users
- Guest users
- Data protection
- Intellectual property rights
- Our site changes
- Our liability
- Information about you and your visits to our site
- Transactions concluded through our site
- Uploading material to our site
- Information about you and your visits to our site
- Transactions concluded through our site
- Uploading material to our site
- Viruses, hacking and other offences
- Linking to our site
- Links from our site
- Jurisdiction and applicable law
- International partners
Information about us
The Staff College is a subsidiary site operated by VSC Plus Ltd (“We”). We are registered in England and Wales as a company (3691651) and have our registered office at Room B12A, Sir Colin Campbell Building, The University of Nottingham Innovation Park, Jubilee Campus, Triumph Road, Nottingham, NG7 2TU. Our VAT number is 844201849.
Accessing our site
Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on our site without notice (see below). We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
When using our site, you must comply with the provisions of our Acceptable Use Policy (below). You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your internet connection are aware of these Terms and Conditions of Use, and that they comply with them.
Organisations can subscribe to our service and members of the subscribing organisation will be provided with a user login and password. These are “registered” users and these Terms and Conditions of Use apply.
By accepting these Terms & Conditions, it is expected that ‘registered users’ will not disclose their log in details to any third party.
Guest users do not have user accounts or logins. These Terms and Conditions of Use also apply to “guest” users.
Access is granted to individuals and is by permission only. We reserve the right to disable any user login or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Intellectual property rights
As a “registered” or “nominated” user, you may print off multiple copies and may download multiple documents. These documents must only be used internally within the subscribing organisation to support your work. You must not pass on any part of the materials on our site to third parties and you must not use any part of the materials on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
As a “guest” user of the site you may print off one copy of any page(s) from our site for your personal reference and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to material posted on our site.
As a user of our site, you must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged.
If you print off, copy or download any part of our site in breach of these Terms and Conditions of Use, your right to use our site will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
All The Staff College (The College) trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, domain names, and any other features of the College brand are the sole property of The College. We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
Our site changes
We aim to update our site regularly, and may change the content at any time. If the need arises, we may suspend access to our site, or close it indefinitely. Any of the material on our site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
The material displayed on our site is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. To the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group of companies and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude:
- All conditions, warranties and other Terms and Conditions of Use which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity.
- Any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our site or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our site, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it, including:
- loss of income or revenue;
- loss of business;
- loss of profits or contracts;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of data;
- loss of goodwill;
- wasted management or office time; and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable, provided that this condition shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property or any other claims for direct financial loss that are not excluded by any of the categories set out above.
This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Information about you and your visits to our site
Communication with other users on the site
Whenever you make use of a feature on our site that allows you to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (below). You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you indemnify us for any breach of that warranty.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials or comments posted by you or any other user of our site.
We have the right to remove any material or posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, such materials or comments does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (below).
Viruses, hacking and other offences
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, Trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack.
By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Linking to our site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice. The website from which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (below).
If you wish to make any use of material on our site other than that set out above, please address your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links from our site
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Jurisdiction and applicable law
The English courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to our site although we retain the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
These Terms and Conditions of Use of use and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with them or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
International partners will be billed in UK Sterling for all subscriptions and online purchases. Payments should be made in UK Sterling, using the prevailing local currency conversion rate of the partners’ banking or credit card provider, on the day of the transaction.
The Staff College is only able to provide technical support for our web services in English.
Calls to the Staff College will be charged at International rates; please check tariffs with your telecoms provider.
In the event of any legal dispute or claim, the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Storage, retention and access to data will be treated in accordance with our obligations under United Kingdom data protection legislation.
The Staff College; VSC Scotland; VSC Wales; Future Directors Programme; Leadership for Change are registered trademarks of VSC Plus Ltd
Acceptable Use Policy
- Prohibited uses
- Interactive services
- Content standards
- Suspension and Termination
- Changes to the Acceptable Use Policy
- Your concerns
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards (below).
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site in contravention of the provisions of our Terms and Conditions of Use (above).
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt: o any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- Comment forms.
- Message boards.
- Contribution to think pieces.
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (Contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- Be accurate (where they state facts).
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person.
- Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass alarm or annoy any other person.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case.
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Suspension and termination
We will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of this Acceptable Use Policy through your use of our site. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- Failure to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy constitutes a material breach of the Terms and Conditions of Use upon which you are permitted to use our site, and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to our site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this Acceptable Use Policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Changes to the Acceptable Use Policy
We may revise this Acceptable Use Policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this Acceptable Use Policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on our site.
If you have any concerns about material which appears on our site, please contact email@example.com.
Terms and conditions of event booking
We recognise that on occasions delegates will book onto events and subsequently find that they are unable to attend. In these situations, we ask that customers notify us of their need to cancel an event booking as soon as possible.
Similarly, we may on occasion find it necessary to cancel an event and when this need arises we are committed to taking positive steps to alert you to the cancellation as soon as possible.
Please refer to The Staff College’s Cancellation Charge Policy which outlines the action to be taken in case of cancellation.