upon is a new leaders programme, designed to grow the UK’s talent pool of future Directors of Children’s Services, and also help recently appointed Directors thrive in their new roles. Supported by the Department for Education, it’s co-created and delivered by a trusted consortium of expert partners; The Staff College, Institute of Public Care, Skills for Care and GatenbySanderson.
This innovative leaders programme has been launched in response to the DfE identifying significant challenges in attracting and retaining talented leaders in DCS roles. In 2018/19 more than 25% of UK local authorities experienced an unplanned change in DCS. And right now, the average length of tenure is only 47 months.
upon aims to change that by inspiring ambitious and courageous future leaders to step up and move on into DCS roles, staying in post for longer to achieve even more positive transformation.
We passionately over the same level of support and encouragement to recently appointed DCSs.
Whatever past experience, our future leaders will be fired-up to develop their skills, build resilience, take responsibility and thrive as part of the next generation of positive change-makers the UK’s young people depend upon.
Year 3 applications open early 2022, and the programme will run from Autumn 2022 – Spring 2023.
• Friday 10th December 2021 (14:00 – 16:00) – New Directors Virtual Workshop
• Friday 14th January 2022 (14:00 – 16:00) – New Directors Virtual Workshop
• Monday 7th – Tuesday 8th February 2022 – New Directors Face to Face Residential (circumstances permitting)
• Friday 25th March 2022 (14:00 – 16:00) – New Directors Virtual Workshop
• Friday 29th April 2022 (14:00 – 16:00) – New Directors Virtual Workshop
• Friday 27th May 2022 (14:00 – 16:00) – New Directors Virtual Workshop